WHAT IS RENAISSANCE ?
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF RENAISSANCE ?
WHERE DID IT BEGIN AND WHY ?
WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERSTICS OF
WHAT WAS THE IMPACT OF RENAISSANCE ?
WHAT IS RENAISSANCE ? Period : 1350-1550 A.D
Renaissance is a latin word which means Rebirth of history Or the ancient times : Greek civilization and Roman civilization of the past. So it was a period when people want florish their culture by reviving the values of their ancient empires.
So it rise to :
- Intellectual growth through evidence based learning and logical reasoning
Innovation and invention
unique style of art were also there
Study of humanities and Science also there
Availability of books also increases and thus it give a rise to educated class
lot of Voyages were made – world explorations.
- But WHY ? What was so wrong about the present times ???
ANCIENT TIME OF THE RENAISSANC PERIOD
-Civilized society is there
-Harmony is present between people and they live happpily,
-Rules and regulations were followed by people accurately.
-Good administrative structure was there.
-Prosperity is present
-people belief in religion
- MEDIEVAL PERIOD : MIDDLE AGES OR THE DARK AGES
-Period 5th C – 14th C
- -Also known as Dark Ages.
-Rule of the ‘Barbarians’
-Primitive form of lifestyle, art ,shelter etc.
-Learning significantly declined
-But they kept following the religious beliefs and Theology
became very important.
- RENAISSANCE PERIOD
-Period 14th C – 16th C
-in this period Major focus is on Humanism
-Reasoning, logic i there and mysticism is absent
-They indulged into investigation and thus studied ancient cultures.
– They concluded ‘Wisdom of past would provide them to help better understand of mankind and it’s nature and of world and the universe.
- Thus Europe was transformed as the principles and ideals that had been neglected for so long was given importance : importance to rationality and scientific outlook in place of superstition, appreciation of nature’s beauty, promotion of freedom of thought, critical thinking which will give birth to modern Europe in the coming times.
- The curiosity and quickness pushed people to study about new things and put question. This gave way to the establishment of Universities thus giving birth to an intellectual class.
BUT WHAT WERE THE BASIC REASONS THAT LED TO THE RISE OF RENAISSANCE AGE….?
1.CRUSADES-RELIGIOUS WARS INITIATED
• Military expeditions undertaken in Europe from 11th – 13th C to recover theholy land Jerusalem from the Muslims (Turks)
• Christians begin to contact with Arabs who had good contacts with Greek and civilizations of india this new ideas were also developed ans shared.
• Encouraging voyages made people eager to study of geography of different places or regions.
2.TRADE AND COMMERCE
• Crusades encouraged links with the east and hence gave way to trade.
• Ideas travelled to different regions
• Commercial prosperity -Investment increased
• Growth of European cities : infrastructure also inceres and intellectual were also there
• Cities became international trade centers
• Freedom of thought was encouraged in this atmosphere.
• Rise of wealthy class led to a desire for learning. They became patrons of art.
3.INITIATION OF PAPER AND PRINTING PRESS
• Europeans learnt paper making from Arabs
• A type-machine was invented by Guttenberg in Germany and later Caxton established Printing Press.
• Translations started from Latin to regional languages
• Led to mass production of books
• Books became affordable and thus latest works of Science and Literature reached the people.
• Thus people became educated.
WHERE DID RENEISSANCE COME FIRST AND WHY ?
• ITALY ( Florence, Milan Venice etc.)
was the birth place of Renaissanceand later it spread to northern Europe.
REASONS OF ITALY BECOMING THE BIRTH PLACE
I. Geographical location
II. Economic factors
III. Political factors
- Land of ancient Roman civilization
A link between Eastern and Western Europe
Present at strategic location from trade point of view (Mediterranean Sea).
Link with the Ottoman empire – vast empire : thus abundant availability of land and resources
by this time population here had done studies on variety of fields :
Mathematics, Astronomy and Science.Thus the trade linkswith the Ottoman led to the exchange of ideas and technology.
- Became a commercial center
Enjoyed monetary gains
Banking system developed
Rise of unique and new business class
this encouraged proper education and oultlook of people changed
new system of patronage begin to developed.
- The political system of italy is not centralized , it is decentralized because the area was divided into powerful Cities eg are:
States : Florence, Milan and Venice.
- They were called city states because a city used to rule a small nation ( by elitists powerful rich families)Theywere independent of each other.
They specialized in particular goods and thus benefitted from each other. For e.g. Milan was famous for its defence system.here arms and ammunition are in more number. and Florence was famous for its textiles here people earn my textiles.
CHARATERSTICS OF RENESSANCE PERIOD
- II. HUMANISM:
- consists of INDIVIDUALISM: means individual should focus on itelf and his progress. ( independent and self realiant)
CLASSICISM:it believes in antiquity
SECULARISM: it believes in religion.
- III. APPRECIATION OF NATURE’S BEAUTY:nature is primary.
WHAT ARE THE IMPACTS OF RENAISSANCE:
1. Impact of Literature
• other then regional languages , it also increase development of Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese languange texts
• Description of human life and activities in place of religious subjects. (Most eminent riter
• Development of poetry, drama, satire, prose writing.
2. Impact on Politics
- • Criticism of religious intervention in political matters started.
• Machiavelli’s in his famous work ‘The Prince’ affirms his thinking above religion. His
outlook was based on reality and justified in adopting any means for achieving the
3.Impact on Art
• Painting were depth , perspective, proportion, more expressive and life
like art. e.g. Leonardo da Vinci’s painting: ‘Monalisa’
• Architecture,Sculpture ,Music is also flourishing.
4. Impact on Science
• Importance was given to observation and experimentation
• Remarkable achievements in the field of Astronomy.
• Copernicus explained that earth is a planet and revolves around sun
but had no proofs.
• Later Kepler and Galileo Galilei approved it.
4. World Explorations BEGIN
• The greed of African gold, salt and ivory and valuable Asian goods pushed Europeans to
find the sea routes and first among them was Portugal
• School of Navigation was opened.
• They started along west coast of Africa.
• Desire for goods lads to voyages and explorations which increase in trade and ideas and thus rise of colonizatio happened.